More than a hundred-fifty years ago the Lake Balaton highlands were famous for their red wines, for almost four hundred years this area was the Roman Empire’s most important terroir.
Nostalgia and Michael Liszkay brought back the production of these heavenly red wines to the area blessed by a Mediterranean-like micro-climate offered by the Kali Basin.
The volcanic-clay soil of the Pangyer slope, which officially ranks among the highest in Hungary (Terroir 385/400) leaves behind most of the famous Hungarian wine regions (including Szekszárd and Villany) due to its sublime, mineral rich terroir.
The Liszkay Winery has a 10-hectare-vineyard, mostly producing red wine.
Pinot Gris 0,5 hectare; Pinot Noir 2,5 hectares; Merlot 1,5 hectares; Cabernet Franc 3 hectares; Cabernet Sauvignon 1 hectare.The plantation of the new grape-vine has taken place between 2003-2006 with a row distance of 2,2 meters. Typically after a late harvest a controlled, open fermentation follows and then the wine receives a light, 12-18 month barriquing process.The only white, the Pinot Gris, also after a late harvest, receives a controlled low temperature fermentation.
• Liszkay Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - Bronz Medal - London, Decanter World Wine Awards
• Liszkay Cabernet Franc 2008 - Silver Medal - London, Decanter World Wine Award
• Liszkay Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - Gold Medal - XIII. Pannon Bormustra (Listed in Hungary's top 15 wines)
• Liszkay Cabernet Franc 2008 - Gold Medal - XIII. Pannon Bormustra (Listed in Hungary's top 15 wines)
• Liszkay Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 - Gold Medal - Vinagora 2015
• Liszkay Cabernet Franc 2012 - Hungarian Wines of Excellence 2016
• Liszkay Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 - Hungarian Wines of Excellence 2016 - awarded position among the best 8 red wines of Hungary
The Liszkay Vineyard Estate is not just about wine, but also provides luxurious accommodation in the picturesque Kali basin, on the North sore of lake Balaton. The Estate has nine tastefully furnished, nice-sized rooms with vintage furnishing; a spacious living room area with its sizeable fireplace; a Provence style dining room with wraparound terrace and a top-notch kitchen. A panoramic, outdoor pool with a large sundeck and a pretty roomy Finnish sauna is ready to serve and pamper the guest. The Wine-Gallery overlooking the volcanic hills of the Káli Basin and its 350-year-old wine cellar provide a perfect venue for wine tastings.